Translate

Friday 13 January 2017

How I Got Into Darts: Chapter 8: First League Cup Final: June 2014


How I Got Into Darts: Chapter 8: First League Cup Final: June 2014

I was yet to make my competitive league debut, however I was at this point hitting a good run of form and was probably the second best player in the pub now. I had been putting some serious time in on the practice board and my confidence was at an all-time high.

I had been watching a lot of Dennis Priestley on Youtube and went to an exhibition of his which inspired me to buy a set of 19g Priestley darts.

It was the Fareham darts league mixed doubles summer cup of 2014, held at the Duke of Connaught pub.

All of the teams were there from leagues 1 and 2 which contained some County players and some BDO players (including Gary Stafford), so it was good company.

I was partnered with a girl called Natalie Seymour whom I’d never met (and wouldn’t do again) before and this night I would be debuting the Priestley’s with virtually no practice time.

It would soon become an amazing ride:

First match: I played dreadful, missing doubles and erratic. I was lucky my partner was on good form as she took out both doubles to win the leg 2-1.

Quarter Final: I was a lot more relaxed and really hit my stride and I even started giving it large as my T19 cover shots where hitting the mark constantly and we won 2-0 with me taking out both doubles.

Semi Final: This was a tight one as we were up against quality opposition.  My scoring was fantastic here, and I took out D16 to go 1-0. They leveled at 1-1 in a tight one before we through at bull for the decider. They took it and got off to a good start however I hit a 100 and 2 140’s to break their heart and I took out the D16 again to win 2-1.

Final:  Unfortunately it was very late now (gone 23:30) and 2 hours since our last match and my partner was knackered (as was I). No excuses, we played piss poor and lost 3-0 to a league 1 pair who played very well and fully deserved the win.

It was a great performance though for the night considering the quality of players at the tournament and to make my first final was a tremendous feeling.


No comments:

Post a Comment