Translate

Monday 9 January 2017

BDO for Life


Hi Guys

I must say that I was thrilled that Channel 4 picked up the BDO after BBC unceremoniously dumped it after 35 years (not that they invested in it anyway) and overall I have been impressed so far, barring a few technical glitches.

Now don’t get me wrong the PDC is fantastic at what it does, and yes the 2017 championship was amazing and the standard sublime however barring a few surprises (Reyes incredible effort against MVG) it was a tournament that once again featured the same faces as will the premier League and next ‘x’ amount of PDC events! 

The PDC has really become about the top 16 and really a battle between the top 6.  Now this absolutely takes nothing away from any of these players or their achievements however how many times can you watch the same player’s week in week out before it becomes repetitive (no matter how good the matches are).

I love to watch the BDO because it is:

  •            Closer to my level (heck some BDO players used to play in my old league)
  •          You see different players and get variety
There seems to be a miss apprehension that you have to have 100ave and 9-11 dart legs to be exciting and good darts!

I have watched matches where the average was 80 and are full of excitement and drama and at no point did I think “I wish the average in this match was 10-15 points more”

Sometimes I think that averages are used to promote the level of the PDC and the standard to accentuate the elitist nature however the PDC and producers are VERY clever. When the average is below say 90 you rarely ever see it get listed on TV it is all smoke and mirrors designed for product image which to me takes away from the legit sport element of it (if this was a track and field event, they wouldn’t black out the times or distance of the athletes who didn’t finished top 3-4 would they??)

I love the BDO and what it stands for. I can pay £5 enter a competition and play. This is what darts WAS all about.  I don’t have to sign contracts, or pay stupid fees etc. If I do well I could face a high ranked player or even a former or current champion. You don’t get that at the PDC!

It makes it more touchable and ‘real’ and I love the fact that the BDO features players from all around the world, and all with different styles and personalities!




Take Care

Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment