Translate

Friday 7 September 2018

Honesty is the best policy: Do the right thing!

Hi Guys

I was invited to an open on Friday 31st August which was on the Sunday the 2nd September.

I am and was thoroughly under practiced and so I deliberated for ages and decide to go literally at 19:00 for a 19:30 start.

I arrived not expecting alot as it was the first time the venue had run a darts event however they had done themselves proud.  It was a great setup, multiple boards, ring lights and a finals stage with raised oche and everything.

This setup wouldn't have looked out of place at a Pro event.

I had been fooling around with my setup when i have practiced and after a few throws realised the darts weren't flying great for me but only had kites and not standards.

Anyway i practiced for abit and got my eye in and in the draw i was entered into a Prelim for round 1.

The format was 1 leg of 501 until quarter, them it went to best of 3 and then 5 with a winners prize of £100.

I drew a guy Ron, and no disrespect he wasn't very good. I stormed away hitting 60's a 95 and a 100 and checked out 14 on D7 whilst leaving him on 283 - job done!

In the first round i drew a lad called Jack.

we were pretty even until he hit a low score and i left 109.

I go t17, t18, d2

Celebrate and shake opponents hand.

Then............ .............................. I go to collect my darts and I realise that i'd only hit s17 and not t17.

No one had noticed. it looked in given the angle and light.

I had a choice. Cheat and progress or admit fault.

I chose to admit as winning by cheating isn't winning and not my style.

I asked for a re-start and i admit i was 'gone'. Elation at nailing a 109 was replaced by internal anger.

We re-started , he missed a 100 out and i was left with 32.

I Missed d16 by the narrowest of margins hit 7, ended up on d1 and missed 9 match darts at D1 to snatch a loss from the jaws of victory.

I shook the lads hand and though i was furious and had lost i knew i had done the right thing.

Looking at the draw and what transpired I could have made the final as Jack reached the Semi's however it would have been a hollow progression.

So many nowadays cheat in sports to succeed and that's their choice (and i have been on the receiving end)  however integrity and sportsmanship to me is what darts was all about and needs to remain so

Luke



No comments:

Post a Comment