Translate

Thursday 20 September 2018

Random musings on dart weight

Hi guys

Some random musings with a beer in hand whilst my wife smokes my mastercard on her 40th bday girlie holiday purchase (and my darts purchases at around £20 get moaned at) 

Now I totally get the rationale behind it. Slimmer = more space in the segment/treble. Hell I've been there with the 14g Hankeys, 10g featherlights, 22g Adams, 25h MVG etc. I lived. For the sub or low 6mm dart.

The reality is that I threw a chunkier number ala 25g Ton Machine far better though it Conflicted with the logic in my head. 

Couple that with that so few pros use a chunk dart (can you name 5 current pros?)  and i felt I was cheating myself. 

Now go back 30 years and though it was likely due to the tech far more players used chunky darts:

Rees
Lazarenko
Glazier
Whitcome
Early Lowes


And whilst they ave were lower than nowadays the boards were far worse and the segments 14% smaller, so there scoring would obviously be superior now

We all have different sized hands and styles so maybe a 31g chunky would be better than a 22g skinny for some players. 

Maybe it's best to forget the aesthetics,and weight and just throw what works best after all how many players have won the WC with sub 20 darts? 

Priestley 12g
Deller 18g
Anderson 18g
Hankey 14g
Walton 18g
Bunting 12g 

Hell maybe some pros should consider it as well!

Luke 

No comments:

Post a Comment