Translate

Monday 13 March 2017

The importance of Focused Concentration!


Hi Guys

I want to address today the importance of focused concentration in darts.

By focus I’m talking about a ‘block all out, doesn’t matter if someone plays a trombone next to your head’ kind of tunnel vision.




This is really important. I have been guilty of losing focus so many times that’s its cost me matches. 

Someone coughs, a rogue cheer, a spilled pint, a random thought, all these can momentarily cause you to lose concentration and that’s the difference between hitting the desired segment or the scoreboard.

No joke I was once playing In a pub where the board was adjacent to a number of windows, and just as I was about to release the dart this hand waving came right out in front of me as someone waved to their friend walking past outside. 

“aaaahhhh”

My dart literally went about a foot to the left of the board, as I tried to avoid impaling there hand. I was furious, they were apologetic but it totally blew my concentration. 

Fuming, I was totally ‘gone’ and lost the match as I was launching the darts like I was trying to kill the board. 

Total: 


So what did I achieve by losing my rag???

Nothing, other than a loss!

Whether you are a pub player or a PDC pro, concentration is everything. It doesn’t matter how many 180’s you can hit in your spare bedroom, on a Thursday night in complete peace and quiet. If you can’t do it against a background of noise it’s no good.

A really good technique I have used is to put on darts matches when I’m playing (you can use anything, football etc) and to try and totally block it completely out when I play (to the point I couldn’t even tell you whose playing).

Also remember that when practicing remember to focus and concentrate on each throw. If the first dart goes in 1, re-focus! Don’t just throw the other 2 and wait till you’ve got all 3 again.  Always remember you have 3 darts and if your first 2 land in the 1, remember that you can still hit t20 and score 62.  

I have seen so many players in matches (myself included) hit 2 awful first darts and then launch the third in temper, whereas a step back, deep breath and re-focus could have seen a salvage of that throw.  Never waste any darts, it’s not about the first 2 (unless it’s a double).

Take Care


Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment