Translate

Friday 24 March 2017

Get the Basics Right: Do Not Ignore Pain! Look at the long game!


Hi guys

As I have posted on this blog before, I have a catalogue of injuries (lower back, right shoulder, right hip and right wrist) which I brought with me into playing darts from previous activities.

I can’t stress enough to you that when you start playing you need to think long-term whether you are going to be able to maintain that style of 1-5-10 years.

This is a cautionary tale as darts may appear to be a physically undemanding sport however the reality is actually far different.

The classic example is stance. Obviously leaning over makes logical sense as you are closer to the board, however you have to look at the pressure that is going to put on your back and hip when done for long periods of time.

When I started I adopted the Bobby George leaning over stance:



Now this is great for moving you closer to the board however at 16 stone (220 lbs) this played havoc with my back and right hip. After 1 hour of practice I was a mess. Now some of it is due to old injuries, however it is not a naturally comfortable position to adopt and hold and it caused me to have to take regular breaks from playing such was the discomfort after (it should be noted that Bobby George has actually had to have a hip replacement). 

Now this may not necessarily apply to you early on, however it will take its toll, and it may be an inopportune moment:

Picture the scene, it’s the first leg and I’m playing a blinder, hitting decent darts, not scoring below 60 and have hit a couple of 100’s. I’m on d16, and I outside wire 2 darts. The third I overextend and force it, it goes in but my back goes with it!  My right leg is now wobbly due to my back, and every time I throw I get a back spasm. Of course I lose the leg so now it’s the decider and I’m sweating buckets due to the pain. I’m frustrated with myself, however I win the bull and somehow manage to stay ahead, until stupidly I miscount and leave d16 again where I should have left d20. I do the usual

D16 –hit 16
D8 –hit 8
D4 –hit 4

And then

D2-hit 2

And then onto D1.

It then became a farce as my opponent had got into the match, but had equally messed his finishes up and was now on d1 himself.  It became the definition of bad pub darts as we both through pineapples at the board and missed about 30 darts at D1 before I hit it and won!

I could barely walk the next day and every time I tried to practice my back and hip killed me.  The end result is that I had to then take several weeks off of playing.

I struggled for the longest time to change my mindset on stance as whenever I tried to change it I was less effective as I was further away and this went with the path of least resistance.

The older I have got though, it has become more apparent that if I want to play this sport into an older age and what’s more take it to the next level I need to adopt a stance that will enable me to practice for long periods and play longer matches.

John Lowe told me a comfortable stance and clean release will keep your game good for decades and you only have to look at how good he still is at 70 odd to realise this.

I therefore decided to look at other players who stance isn’t as lean centric and you only have to look at the stance of:

Phil Taylor



John Part



Gary Anderson



Who have a combined 21 world titles between them to see that you don’t have to make yourself as close as possible (yes MVG at the moment is winning everything with this stance but at 27 he is already experiencing hip, wrist and back issues – and injury rather than an opponent may be what ends his run at the top) With that sorted I have had to look at my throw I was and still do get shoulder problems and  I have had many occasions whereby I haven’t been able to throw with any kind of accuracy whatsoever which can be both incredibly frustrating and disheartening.  

This has usually been the result of:

  •          Throwing to hard
  •         Over extending
  •         Ignoring fatigue
  •         Sloppy technique


I have found that for me it is far better to have 1 hour’s good quality practice than 3 hours rushing every dart at the board. For the longest time my form would dip after the first hour and this would lead to frustration and poor results. Stepping away is the hardest thing to do however you are getting NOTHING from 2 hours of practice if your arm is tired and your technique has gone! Building up stamina and taking my time is the key thing that I continually ignored and I have wasted hours and hours of my life practicing with zero benefit.

So the key thing is to not ignore pain and discomfort. This is one sport where it ISNT no pain no gain and for longevity it is important to absolutely minimise the wear and tear on your body.

Listen to your body, pay attention to any pain or discomfort and don’t be afraid to step away from the board when your body tells you (pain, loss of accuracy). 

Anyway I hope this helps guys


Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment