Translate

Monday 24 October 2016

24/10/16: Quick update and the importance of natural grip and release!


Hi Guys

and good morning (or evening) wherever you are.

I hope you had a good weekend.

I managed to pick the darts up briefly the weekend and although way below my usual standard, i was consistently hitting the 20!

I must stress that the most important thing i am finding is that it is ESSENTIAL to instill in the mind 'clean release, clean release'.

I must admit the older i get the calmer i seem to have gotten on my throw and this is important. Before i use to rush out the 3rd dart, but now for me its about consistency.

One thing i have noticed is that whilst the protracted break has affected my overall accuracy  it has enabled me to in effect 'reset' my throw as before i was getting frustrated and trying to force things whereas now i feel like i can work from the ground up and refine key elements.

If you watch the pro's the common denominator is that they all have a consistent throw, none of them change dynamics each leg and very few change their speed, or grip.

Having studied alot of players i have noticed that the majority use a 2 fingered grip (and from the rear) and as i have progressed i have started to reduce my 'fingers' on the dart and grip position.

Previously it was 3 fingers and a thumb across the whole barrel with thumb in centre but now its 2 fingers with thumb at rear. Its all about confidence really as when starting out more fingers equal more grip and feel of control, however it also makes for more contact on the dart and increased chance of release issues.

I do feel it is important to go with what feels natural though from a throwing point of view as trying to emulate another players throw  has, for me at least proved to be 'unnatural'.

e.g. i have tried to emulate the following players throw (with their darts) .

here are are just a few of the players throws i have tried to emulate (using their darts):

1. John Lowe: Johns throw is perfect, however it just doesn't on any level for me.
2. Phil Taylor: Just couldn't get any consistency and didn't have confidence in it due to how little of dart i was holding (this was phase 1, 2 and 5)
3. Dennis Priestly: Ugh, the man is  Legend, how he can even hit the board with that grip and throw is beyond me???
4. Eric Bristow: Did have moderate success but god did i suffer from some off angle darts.
5. Raymond Van Barneveld: May as well have been deliberately throwing them off the board (Phase 1)
6. Leighton Rees: No idea how he managed to get near a T20?
7. Ted Hankey: Incredible darts in practice, however 14g darts just didn't work for me in a competitive environment!
8. Simon Whitlock: Just didn't work at any level!

as you can see, quite a variety and none of it worked for me.

What i have learned is that if it feels natural it will feel better and more confident and that involves rhythmic style that is not too dissimilar to MVG (without ever trying to copy). Every time i have tried to slow it down and think it hasn't worked!

This is just how it feels for me and the beauty of darts is that it offers a HUGE array of options and discovery.

anyway, just a quick update i hope everyone has a great day

All the best

Luke


No comments:

Post a Comment