Translate

Tuesday 5 December 2017

Interview with the Legend Dennis 'The Menace' Priestley


Dear all

It is my absolute pleasure to bring you my interview with the 2x Champion of the World, and true  Legend in the sport of darts.............. Dennis 'The Menace' Priestley!




Q1: You seemed to come out of nowhere aged 40 in 1990, won the BDO World Championship in your first appearance in 1991 and then seemed to win everything. When did you start playing darts, What were you doing in darts before then and what made you turn pro (it was obviously a fantastic decision)?

DP: I had a bet on a horse called Grundy which won the derby in1976 so I bought a set of tungsten darts which were £11.20. I started playing once a week in a league an then all of a sudden I was playing everyday in different leagues, and I won local individual titles. I won McCeans open at Morecombe I think in 1983.I then got selected for Yorkshire and England I went to some tournaments and qualified for the embassy which after winning at my 1st attempt allowed me to turn professional

Q2: You use a very specific set of darts, what were the darts you used before your Winmau model and what weights have you used. It’s rumoured that you won the 1991 Worlds with a 12g set which if true is a record for lightest darts to have won a World Championship (either PDC or BDO)?

DP: My darts started at 26g copper tungsten they wore down to 11g and were this weight wen I won both world champs they eventually broke on the thread.

Q3: Bobby George tells a story of a practice match you had with him at lakeside in 1992 where you had darts at a 9 darter for the 5 legs played and you went 10-10-10-10-9 in legs which prompted him to have  a large bet on you.  Bobby Said it’s the greatest performance he’d seen.  Can you share any details on this legend?

DP: Yes what Bobby says is correct

Q4: An obvious one but how often and for how long did you used to practice, both pre-professional and after and did you change anything up as you got older?

DP: I played everyday and after turning pro I had plenty of exhibition work which was good practice. As I got older I found that I didn’t practice much but did practice coming up to tournaments. Now the darts circuit is full and they are playing competitive darts which keeps them match fit.

Q5: This ties into Q4. What were your practice routines both pre-professional and after and did you change anything up as you got older?

DP: I used to go round the doubles and different finishes up to 80 then round off with games of 501

Q6: You have a very poised throw which was different from anyone else at the time. Was this something that came natural or by necessity?

DP: By necessity

Q7: After winning the championship again in 1994, winning everything and hitting the averages you were (100+, which then was exceptional) it must have felt like you were about to dominate darts for the foreseeable future, however the 6-1 loss lit a fire under Taylor that in effect drove him to become the greatest ever.   It must have felt at times like “what have I done”?

DP: yes I always tell people that I made him the all-time best player by that 6 1 beating.

Q8:  What is your favourite match outside of your majors?

DP: I once did 2 nine dart games and missed double 18 for a 3rd in an exhibition in Woolwich. I know the Winmau World Masters is a major but I had 2 of my best games I beat Alan Warriner in the semis with a 105 average and then Mike Gregory in the final with a 102 average.

Q9: You retired from the circuit in 2014 after an incredible career winning major titles, and events. What prompted the decision to call it a day?

DP: I lost my desire and also my age prompted me to call it a day, I still do exhibitions and legend nights.

Q10:  How is your health now, and how do you spend your days now you are not active on the professional circuit.


DP: My health at the moment is good ,I have blood tests every year to check my P.S.A. levels as I said in Q9 I still do exhibitions when asked .

I just want to take the opportunity to thank Mr Priestley for doing me this honor, it has been a privilege 

Luke


No comments:

Post a Comment